Foodie Blog Roll 2

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Chris' Mexi Sliders

We had a group of friends over last weekend for a cook out and some football. There was quite a spread of goodies but the star of the show was definitely Chris' mexi sliders. The difference between the way he cooks and the way I cook is that I follow at least a basic recipe and he just wings it. How does he do that? Maybe HE should be doing this blog! :) I sat down with him on Sunday and wrote everything down to put on here. I think we have a pretty good estimate on measurements, but feel free to adjust it to your taste. For these particular sliders we used ground venison but beef would work great also. We are trying to eat up the venison we have left before hunting season starts again! Ok, here goes.


Chris' Mexi Sliders
 
This made 30 sliders! 

Ingredients:
FOR THE BURGERS
8 Lb ground venison
1/2 c hot sauce (we use Louisiana Hot Sauce) 
1/2 c soy sauce (low sodium)
1/4 c Worcestershire sauce
1 package taco seasoning
1 T Cajun seasoning
1 package taco seasoning (for grilling only)*

FOR THE TOP
2 1/2 onions, thinly sliced
2 1/2 red peppers, thinly sliced
1 package fajita seasoning
1 T olive oil

EXTRAS
30 small packages rolls 
About 8 slices of sharp chedder
About 8 slices of pepper jack

Directions:
Mix the first 6 ingredients together in a bowl. Make sure everything is well combined. Form 30 patties and wash hands thoroughly.  Turn the grill on medium heat, about 300 degrees. 

Meanwhile, start to make the topping by adding the olive oil to a skillet on medium heat. If you have a large skillet, add all the onion, peppers and seasoning to the pan at once. If not, you will have to do this in two batches. Cook the veggies for about 10 minutes or until the onions are caramelized. Pour into a big bowl and take to the grill.

Chris grilled the patties in batches of 6 so they would be hot when he brought them inside. Place the patties on grill and cook for about 4 minutes on the first side. Grill patties about 4 minutes on each side. Flip patties and lightly sprinkle with *taco seasoning to give them a bit of a crust. When the patties have about 1 minute left to cook, place the cheese on the top of the patties so it can melt. Each slice of cheese will cover two sliders. Place the rolls on the grill, flat side down for a few seconds so they get warm. 
Take the patties off the grill and top each with a small pile of veggies, and voilà! Mexi sliders!
Just a side note, I don't really like regular hamburger or hot dog buns and I usually don't eat them. These rolls really added something to the burgers. They were so soft and chewy; much better than the regular ones!
This recipe can easily be cut in half. Also, these would be great as big burgers. Anyways, Chris did a great job! Bobby Flay would be proud! :)

2 comments:

  1. These look phenomenal! I plan on making these next week! what kind of rolls did you use? I plan on only making about 15, so I can cut all the ingredients down to half, right? I'm new to cooking and have been cooking up a storm using a lot of recipes from the BUDGET BYTES blog, she's awesome too btw, and I found your blog through hers and have been wanting to try your stuff too! I love your blog and can't wait to try out a few of your recipes myself! thanks! oh, and if you or your husband have a wicked chicken wing recipe, that would be awesome too! lol thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks! Yes, you can just 1/2 the recipe. Honestly, I'm not sure what kind of rolls they were, I just went to the bread isle and looked for anything smaller than a bun that WASN'T a regular hamburger bun (I don't really like those). Anything soft and squishy will do. :) I just discovered budget bytes this week through my facebook page. She has lots of yummy looking stuff. Happy cooking; let me know how they turn out! PS I'll have Chris get on the chicken wings ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...